I can say in all honesty that I don’t even remember the last time I cleaned out my washing machine.
Oven? Sure. Kitchen cupboards? Do them regularly. But the washing machine? I didn’t even consider that a thing that could get dirty. Of course, that’s the wrong approach to have.
Most bacteria can survive if you’re washing at low temperatures. What’s more, they thrive in the conditions. In addition, mold and fungus can begin to grow, that which gives clothes and sheets a noticeably pungent smell.
Fortunately, we’ve found a simple guide from Swedish newspaper Expressen concerning how to give your machine a proper clean! Best of all? It only requires 4 simple ingredients, and isn’t complicated in the slightest.
What you’ll need:
How to clean the washing machine:
1. The first thing you should do is open the compartment you usually pour detergent powder/liquid into. If you notice mold, wash it out.
2. Pour 6 litres of water into the drum. Now mix half a bag of ascorbic acid with half a serving of citric acid in warm water, and pour that into the drum as well.
3. Start a long program with both prewash, main wash and extra rinse, all at least 194 degrees Fahrenheit (or as hot as the washing machine can run).
4. Open and empty the filter.
5. Now add 6 detergent tablets to the washing machine, and run on the same program as last time.
6. Take a sponge and clean the opening of the washing machine.
7. Add 6 more detergent tablets and run a third program!
8 .Now just watch how clean the interior of your machine gets. It will work wonders with all your dirty clothes. Be sure to leave the door open for a spell after every use, so that the inside can be thoroughly dried out.
I had no idea it was so important to clean a washing machine. From now, I’m going to be using this trick moving forward.
Share this article with your friends and family to let them know about this helpful trick.