What is Blackened Chicken?
Blackened Chicken is all about the rub. This recipe features a homemade blackened seasoning packed with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and other spices. This is a spice mix that originated in New Orleans and can be used on any type of protein and is also great on vegetables. After you make the Blackened Seasoning simply rub onto the meat until it is completely coated. You can either grill or pan sear your meat until it is cooked though and finish by brushing with garlic butter. If you want to add this spice mix as a pantry staple you can store the mix in an air tight container and use it anytime. The recipe below will liberally cover 1 pound of meat or vegetables, or more if you want to go lighter on the seasoning.
- 1 pound of chicken breast
- Blackening Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Garlic Butter
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Heat a grill to high heat (approximtely 400 degrees)
- In a small bowl combine all the spice ingredients and mix well.
- Slice the chicken so they are uniform in thickness so they cook at the same rate. (See video)
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the seasoning mix on each side of the chicken, make sure to completely cover.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Note, the cooking time will vary greatly on the thickness of the chicken.
- When chicken has reached the proper internal temp brush with garlic butter and serve.