We all know that chicken breast (boneless and skinless) can sometimes be very boring. But, when you stuff them with your favorite ingredients, they can really elevate the flavour of your chicken. I love to make stuffed chicken breasts because you can stuff the chicken with just about anything. The options are endless. The last time I made stuffed chicken, I used spinach, feta cheese, and black olives as a filling, and it was very tasty.
For this recipe, you only need asparagus, mozzarella cheese, lemon zest, and a few spices to make this insanely good asparagus stuffed chicken breast. This recipe is easier than it looks. And, it takes no time at all to create it, other than a quick sear in a skillet to make the chicken even more flavourful and get a good crust on the outside.
- 4 large free-range organic chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- 12 asparagus stalks — trimmed
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise. Create a pocket in each chicken breast, but do not cut all the way through.
- Season the inside of the chicken breasts with lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken on your work surface, lay the mozzarella cheese and 3 asparagus pieces inside each chicken breast, and fold over, enclosing the filling.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Then, season the outside of the chicken breasts with this spice mixture.
- Heat a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil.
- Sear the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side, until it is golden brown.
- Place the chicken in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.