BUT…there is a low carb alternative that is BETTER than regular mozzarella cheese sticks!
Behold, BREAD CHEESE! If I could use sounds on my posts, you’d hear angels singing right now!
Bread cheese is a dense cheese that is specifically for frying. It gets crispy and crunchy on the outside and stays gooey inside. It’s buttery, nutty, and delicious! You can dip it in low carb marinara sauce and it seriously tastes exactly like a traditional cheese stick without the processed crap and carbs!
- 6 pieces string cheese
- 1 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese the powdered kind in a can
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt coarse Kosher salt works best
- Cut string cheese in half along the length.
- Beat 1 egg in small bowl. Set aside.
- Place almond flour, Parmesan cheese, coconut flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt in zipper sandwich bag. Shake bag to blend.
- Dip each piece of mozzarella into the beaten egg and then coat by shaking in the sandwich bag. Freeze for at least one hour.
- Heat oil in small frying pan to at least half inch high. Temperature of oil should be 400°F or slightly less to prevent melting the cheese. NOTE: I've had success air frying these at 400°F for about 5 minutes.
- Cook each coated piece of mozzarella in the hot oil until browned on all sides. Enjoy!
- Makes 1 dozen mini sticks. A serving is 3 sticks.
- Salt can be adjusted to taste. I tried 1/4 teaspoon at first, but made another batch with 1/2 teaspoon and it tasted much better.