- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 6 cups vegan chicken broth*
- 6 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 cup pearl couscous dry
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 10 oz vegan chicken strips** un-breaded and frozen
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, onion, carrots, celery, turmeric and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cook until onions begin to soften (3-5 minutes).
- Add the broth, couscous, rosemary, thyme and chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.***
- *You can get this at Whole Foods.
- **If you are in a hurry, you can thaw your chicken strips before adding them to the pot. This will cut your simmering time down to 10 minutes.
- ***The chicken bouillon can be a little strong. If you feel like it is too salty, you can add water to the pot to thin it out. HOWEVER, if you plan on having leftovers, add hot water to each bowl individually (rather than the entire pot).
- ****FOR LEFTOVERS: note that the couscous will continue to absorb the broth as it sits in the fridge. Because of this, you will need to add water to leftovers.
- *****Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen.