- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp ground black pepper divided
- 2 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp white wine (optional)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb egg noodles (whole wheat or regular) cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup sour cream plus more for garnishing
- fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Meanwhile, place the cut chicken into a bowl. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Place the chicken in the hot pan (taking care not to overcrowd- you may need to do two batches) and brown, about 2-5 minutes on each side. The chicken does not need to be cooked throughout. Remove from the pan and transfer to a plate (continue with remaining chicken if needed).
- Add the the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet, and then add the mushroom and cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Then, add the shallot, onion and garlic and stir occasionally until they are soft and translucent. Pour in the wine and cook for 1 minute, then add the butter and flour. Whisk continuously taking care not to burn. SLOWLY add the chicken stock, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Add the worcestershire, thyme, and the remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Toss in the chicken, turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes. Add the egg noodles and the sour cream and stir until combined. Cook for 2 more minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, then remove from the heat and garnish with parsley, if desired.