Rice is a staple ingredient in my kitchen. Not only is it my trusted side dish, I also use it extensively in making cakes and delicacies.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy rice is Arroz con Leche or Mexican rice pudding. Creamy, cinnamony, and generously studded with juicy raisins, it makes for an amazing gluten-free dessert or anytime snack.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon to taste
- In a pot over medium heat, combine rice, water, cinnamon sticks, and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and evaporated milk until blended. Add to the pot of rice.
- Add sugar. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add raisins and vanilla extract. Stir until dispersed. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with ground cinnamon to taste.