- 2-3 cups shredded chicken or turkey
- Curly kale or green chard as much as you like
- 5 slices of bacon I used hickory smoked bacon this time
- 1.5 cups carrots diced
- 5-6 garlic cloves sliced
- 8 oz. cremini or baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock about 32 oz. | 1 qt.
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1.5 cups celery diced
- 1.5 cups yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley and/or fresh thyme for garnishing
For dairy-free cream:
- 4 tbsp cassava flour or yucca flour
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- Prep: shred cooked chicken (or turkey). Dice carrots, celery, and yellow onion. Slice garlic cloves and mushrooms. Set aside 1 tbsp fresh thyme. Roughy chop curly kale or green chard. Set aside.
- Bacon: Preheat a large dutch oven (I use 6 qt.) or heavy soup/stock pot over medium-high heat, when hot, add 5 slices of bacon. Render fat and crisp up the bacon. Once the bacon strips are crisped up, set aside. Leave 2 tbsp bacon fat in the dutch oven and save the remainder of the bacon fat aside for later use.
- Cook: Re-heat the dutch oven, when hot, add sliced garlic cloves and diced onion. Season with a bit salt and saute until fragrant. Add carrots and celery. Season with another pinch of salt. Saute for a few additional minutes. Add cremini mushrooms and 1 tbsp fresh thyme. Give another quick toss then add 5 cups chicken stock. You should have enough liquid to just cover the ingredients but not completely submerge them. Cover the pot with a lid, cook over medium heat until the veggies turn softer yet not mushy. In the meantime, mix well cassava flour with coconut milk until there are no lumps
- Add chicken, cream & serve: Stir-in shredded chicken and slowly pour the cream over hot simmering soup pot. Give it a gentle stir. Taste and see if more salt or black pepper is needed. Stir-in vegetables. If you prefer thicker soup, mix more cassava flour with liquid from the soup pot. Garnish with chopped parsley and/or fresh thyme, and don’t forget about the bacon crumbles!